We are the first graduate real estate program, uniquely situated within Boston/Cambridges’s development industry as well as MIT’s innovation and entrepreneurial ecosystems. CRE’s faculty members are drawn from MIT’s Department of Urban Studies, offering students theoretical and research driven perspectives in addition to fundamental advanced professional skill building such as economics, finance, design, development, sustainability, and technology.
The MSRED program is located in the Center for Real Estate in Building 9. The Center (CRE) houses the main lecture hall where many of the MSRED courses are taught. In addition there is a student lounge and student conference rooms dedicated solely for use by our students.
Peer and Alumnae/i Networks
Taking advantage of the Center’s cross-campus events, MSRED students build strong networks with fellow graduate students in MIT’s Department of Urban Studies and Planning (DUSP) and MIT’s Sloan School of Management as well as peers at Harvard, Columbia University, and New York University.
- Alum mentor/mentee kick-off networking event
- NYC Ventures
- RED Studio development site visits
- Sloan Real Estate Club
- Harvard GSD’s Real Estate Club
MIT has cross-registration agreements with the following area institutions:
As an MSRED student, you will meet and collaborate with outstanding professionals from all sectors of the industry and throughout the world.
- Alumnae/i Mentorship: Gain valuable insight into your career growth from industry leaders who were once in your shoes as MSRED students.
- Internships and Externships: MSRED students take part in experiential learning opportunities from Boston to San Francisco to Hong Kong in companies such as Lendlease, Gaw Capital, and Boston Properties.
- World Real Estate Forum: This event attracts 300+ industry leaders each year. MSRED students may attend free and can be directly involved in the planning process as well as speak as panelists.
Students are encouraged to also create their own group events i.e., arrange a meeting with local and visiting industry practitioners, request specific site visits, and/or organize discussion sessions and study groups.
- MIT Design X: MIT Design X is the MIT School of Architecture and Planning’s (SA+P) design innovation and entrepreneurship incubator. Through seed funding and mentorship, Design X empowers students, faculty and researchers to design, build, launch, and grow new business ventures and forward-thinking solutions designed to address critical challenges facing the future of cities and the human environment.
- CASE Competition: The MIT Center for Real Estate Alumni Association (AACRE) hosts an annual CASE Competition. Students teams analyze, evaluate, and design projects for real development sites to a panel of judges and industry professionals. More information on the CASE Competition
Seminars and Lectures
Along with the numerous events hosted by the School of Architecture and Planning and MIT, the Center also hosts year-round lectures and seminars:
- Thought Leader Lecture Series: Meet industry Thought Leaders – the real estate pros who are uniquely positioned to provide valuable perspective on the important topics influencing the industry today.
- Lunch N’ Learns: Learn about different careers or segments of the industry as companies from all areas of real estate come to campus for small group networking.
- CRE Research Seminars: Gain new insights from distinguished scholars in the real estate finance field outside MIT as they present their research.